-The adventures of Ryan & Abby Kloberdanz as they serve as Peace Corps volunteers in the Kingdom of Tonga-

Monday, October 22, 2012

Site Placement Celebration


This past Friday, the 19th of October was definitely one for celebration. Ryan and I received our placement on the island of Vava'u. The Peace Corps went all out with a delicious homemade lunch and an afternoon of site-seeing on the island of Tongatapou. We ended the trip by coming into Nuku'alofa, where Ryan and I joined many of the other PCTs and dined on pizza prepared by an Italian expatriate, cold Heinekens and a butterscotch ice cream cone. The food was truly out of this world and anyone who is lucky enough to visit Tonga must go to Marco's tiny little pizzeria in the middle of the tropics!

The excitement started on Thursday night with the arrival of our first package from Mark and Nan. Here a bearded Ryan celebrates its arrival.


The next morning, Ryan told me he was "enjoying coffee on the front porch". When I came out to join him, I learned of his dirty secret...a fun-sized Snickers for breakfast! (Notice I made him shave for the occasion. I told him the "E. Coli" beard had to go!)


Here I am at the blowholes, which was undoubtedly the highlight of our site-seeing. Watching the water crash against the rocks and explode through all the blowholes was such a cool experience.

Ryan and I at the blowholes:


Finally, group shots of the boys and the girls of Peace Corps Tonga Group 77:





No comments:

Post a Comment