-The adventures of Ryan & Abby Kloberdanz as they serve as Peace Corps volunteers in the Kingdom of Tonga-

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

PST Week 5


Abby and I are midway through week 5 and it has been a good one so far. Here are some highlights:


1) We went to the village-championship rugby match on Saturday. Upon first glance this could appear to be like any high school/college football game in America, just on a dilapidated field and one set of concrete bleachers. However, this was unlike anything I have ever seen. Most of the spectators (which numbered in the hundreds) crowded around the field and celebrated on the field during play if their side advanced. Moreover, the game was simply put the most violent thing I have ever seen in person. The tackling was fierce, the concussions were numerous and the fistfights were everywhere.
One such fistfight led to 1/3 of the crowd charging the field to join in the fight. While a few were there to break it up, the vast majority were there to agitate and join in. This went on for ten minutes as the fists flew, players/fans were bloodied and several people were carted off the field. Abby and I sat with the rest of our Peace Corps friends watching this, with our mouths agape. It was crazy.

2) We have started practice teaching in our local school to help prepare us for teaching English in our site village schools, which will be a focal point of our time in the Peace Corps. The school is very run down and the students are low, but it has truly been an amazing experience. The students and teachers could not be more excited to have us at school. While we are learning a lot about interacting with Tongan students, I already feel like our presence is making a difference in Tonga.
Of course there is one crazy teacher lady who has already risen to the cream of crop in terms of her lessons. She prepares them with a "West Denver Prep-like" fervor and reaps the benefits every morning. I'll give you one guess of whom I speak.

3) Just when I thought I was out, Kirk pulls me back in with a W over Minnesota. I am so glad I am not living through this season in real-time. However, per my blogger.com profile, I am the Founder and President of the Tongan I-Club. So far we have two members, me and Abby, who was added to the club roster against her will. If you know any willing Tongans,  the Tongan I Club has an extra Hawkeye t-shirt waiting for them.


I want you for the Tongan I-club. Can a palangi get a "Go Hawks?"

4) Abby and I will learn our permanent "site" placement on October 19th. This is where we will find out which island we will serve on permanently. We are hoping for the outer island of Vava'u, which is north of Tongatapou--where we are currently stationed. We will keep you updated.


5) We truly miss all of you and hope you know you are never far from our thoughts and prayers. But please understand, what we miss most is far and away the food! :) 

6) This is something I would usually only share with my book club, but if any of you are in the mood for an incredible western classic, then I insist you read "Warlock" by Oakley Hall. Not only did Oakley Hall study at the Iowa Writer's Workshop (Go Hawks), but the book was personally recommended to me by my favorite author, Cross Morrows. If you haven't heard of him yet, you will soon. But seriously, "Warlock" is one of the best books I have ever read in my life and I hope someone out there picks it up.
Shameless plug: If you want to read a great blog with book reviews, then please visit my sister-in-law's blog: morningsstartwithem.blogspot.com
7.) We have not killed a single cockroach this week! Ryan and Abby emerge victorious on the war against these nasty creatures. (Editor's Note: Some of you will find it ironic that this paragraph was added by Abby, when she in fact has not killed or disposed of a single cockroach in Tonga. She leaves that work up to me.)

8.) After 7 straight days of rain and dark clouds and torrential downpours, the sun reappeared this week. This glorious event was marked by several different things: 1) Us digging our triple sealed laundry bag marked "moldy and smelly"out from under the bed and doing something about it. This ended with blisters on Ryan's hands from ringing out clothes. 2) Abby having to scrape the mold off of her shoes and 3) Ryan being accused of "fa'alahakaukau", a.k.a. sun-bathing, by his instructor during class.

9.) And finally, just for laughs, here is my wife upon her arrival in Tonga. Just try and guess what kind of mood she was in...
This picture  is enlarged and hung at the P.C. headquarters. Yep... someone in group 77 had to be that dork.



3 comments:

  1. That picture is now on my desk at work. It's hard not to love that dork. Miss you guys. P.S.: Your picture is also next to hers Ryan. I would imagine you are doing the Hawkeyes proud wearing thier acclaimed mascot with a skirt)
    P.P.S.: Thanks for the plug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Any idea what type of teaching materials you might need or want? I can dig through my stuff, make photocopies, and laminate them so that they last longer. I doubt Tongan customs will want phonics sheets. Haha. Just wondering, what types of nonperishable foods from the US are you missing? Just curious. :) Miss you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kim!!! You are so amazing. Laminated ANYTHING will be awesome for teaching. The kids are basic... and books and short stories and fun activities are hard to come by here. So, anything with pictures and simple words, phonics activities, reading comprehesion activities would be out of this world. As far as food...nuts and dried fruit would rock our world. Hope your school year is going good...I can't tell you how much I love reading your emails :) P.S. Congrats again on kicking butt in the half marathon!!!!!

    ReplyDelete